The Duke International Student Center (DISC) is excited to welcome you to Duke University! We look forward to meeting you soon and hope that Duke and the Duke International Student Center will be a place for you to connect, learn, and grow.
International Student Early Move-in, Passport to Duke, and Durham Resource Fair
International Student Early Move-In
First-year international students can submit a request to move into their dorms prior to the all student move-in date. International students will receive additional information and instructions from the Duke International Student Center (DISC) in mid- to late-May on how they can request early move-in for the Fall 2023 semester (August 16 and August 17, 2023).
As part of the early move-in process DISC encourages and invites students to join the us and the I-Guides for fun activities, socials, and other events planned for those days. More information on the schedule will be sent throughout the summer.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
What should I expect at the Passport to Duke and Durham Resource Fair?
- Get to know other first-year students, upperclass students (I-Guides), and the Duke International Student Center (DISC) Staff
- Explore Duke on campus and off campus (i.e. banks, cell phone providers, etc) resources
- Get a head start before Orientation Week begins
Who is my International Guide (I-Guide)?
The International Guides (I-Guides) are a team of upperclass student leaders. They are a unique group of students who can offer suggestions on how to make your Duke experience enriching and as rewarding as possible.
As an international student, you will be assigned an I-Guide during the summer (May to August 2023) to assist in your transition to Duke and Durham. The I-Guides will correspond with you via email, social media, and WhatsApp to answer any questions you have before you arrive. Please keep an eye out for their emails.
Why should I participate?
Diving into a new environment can be challenging. It is common to feel overwhelmed, uneasy, or have concerns about your college life. We hear from students who have participated in the early move-in and past international orientations that these opportunities helped them not only thrive at Duke, but also connect with people who ended up becoming their close friends.
The early move-in process and the Passport to Duke and Durham Resource Fair are opportunities for you to:
- Make connections with other first-year and returning students before you are thrown into the bigger crowd of all the new students.
- Be welcomed and supported by the I-Guide team who can share their past experiences as new students.
- Learn about academic, social and cultural adjustment, residence life, student leadership involvement, networking and developing meaningful relationships with peers, faculty and staff, and get academic, spiritual, or counseling support.
- Move in before the rest of the undergraduate students and get settled into your residence hall.
How can I register for the International Student Early Move-In and the Passport to Duke and Durham Resource Fair?
What does the Undergraduate International Student population look like at Duke?
International students represent approximately 10% of the undergraduate student body. There are students from more than 80 nations presently studying at Duke. After the United States, these are the top five countries with the greatest undergraduate representation:
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
Important Dates and Deadlines
International Student Early Move-In:
- Dates: Wednesday, August 16 and Thursday, August 17, 2023
- Time: Check-in will begin at 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. (please note that the times are subject to change)
- Location: To be determined
Passport to Duke and Durham Resource Fair
- Date: Friday, August 18, 2023
- Time and Location: To be determined
New Student Orientation begins for all undergraduate students: Sunday, August 20.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Duke International Student Center at email@example.com or telephone: 919-684-3585.